Training on Bed Bugs: Empowering Families with the Knowledge Needed to Take Control of their Living Spaces
Time & Location
About The Event
Please read the agenda and then to register for this training click on "Register Now".
The cost for this training is $15 per person (maximum 40 people).
Make checks payable to: Rick Castillo - 66 Starbird Rd. Unit H, Jericho, VT, 05465
Agenda below now includes a Special Guest Presenation
- Bed Bug Biology 101 -by Judy Rosovsky, Vermont State Entomologist
- Empowering Families: While protecting yourself and your family (with demonstrations of cost-effective tools and techniques)
- Be Prepared: What Landlords need to know about Bed Bugs
- Common Sense: for Home Visitors to reduce the risk of spreading Bed Bugs
- Action Plan: For the Workplace, Offices, Waiting Rooms, etc.
- Legal Issues: Who is responsible in Vermont?
The Trainer: Rick Castillo, was trained in Healthy Homes practice by the National Center for Healthy Housing to provide in-home peer education services to low-income families in underserved communities. Rick served as the chairperson of the Greater Manchester, NH Bed Bug Action Committee (BBAC) from 2012 to 2014 and he successfully organized the BBAC’s 2013 Statewide Bed Bug Conference. In 2013 the New Hampshire legislature passed HB 482 an act regarding infestation of bed bugs in rental housing aka the “Bed Bug Law”. Rick organized statewide public awareness and education events in the lead up to the implementation of the new law on January 1, 2014.
Also during this period Rick worked with landlords, public health officers, and pest control professionals to develop protocols for rapid Bed Bug intervention. The team worked with tenants in vulnerable communities to establish inspection, monitoring, and control systems to detect Bed Bugs and safely use pest control products and services. He learned that long term pest control can be achieved when families are empowered with the knowledge needed to take control of their living spaces to maintain conditions that are inhospitable to bed bugs.